DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/issn.2455-4529.IntJResDermatol20211401

Prevalence of dermatoses in adult migrant workers attending dermatology OPD in a tertiary care centre in Puducherry

Bhavana Sampadarao, Govardhan J. Kumar, Damayandhi Kaliaperumal, Jude E. Dileep, Sucharita Sekar, Umadevi K. Parthasarathi

Abstract


Background: Migrant workers are exposed to dangerous and unhygienic work environments, which puts them at risk of developing skin diseases. This study aims to assess the prevalence of skin diseases and provide epidemiological data regarding various dermatoses among migrant workers in Puducherry.

Methods: This is a hospital-based, cross-sectional study conducted in Aarupadai Veedu Medical College and Hospital from August 2019 to February 2021. 350 migrant workers were randomly selected and examined for the prevalence of infective and non-infective dermatoses. The observations were documented and data were analyzed using statistical package for the social sciences (SPSS) version 22.

Results: A total of 350 migrant workers were included in the study. Of most migrants, 90.9% (n=318) were males, while the remaining 9.1% (n=32) were females. The prevalence of infective dermatoses was found to be 76% (n=266) and the prevalence of non-infective dermatoses was 43.10% (n=151) in this study. Fungal infections are the most common infective dermatoses affecting 51.5% of the workers, followed by bacterial skin lesions in 27.4%.

Conclusions: This study reveals a high prevalence of infective and non-infective dermatoses among migrant workers, with fungal infections being the most commonly occurring infective skin disease. Eczema was the commonly occurring non-infective dermatoses, according to this study.


Keywords


Migrant workers, Physical health, Infective dermatoses, Fungal skin infections, Eczema

Full Text:

PDF

References


Chaudhary M. How to protect India’s invisible migrant workers? East Asia Forum. 2021. Available from: https://www.eastasiaforum.org/2021/01/29/ how-to-protect-indias-invisible-migrant-workers/. Accessed on 08 March 2021.

OECD Economic Surveys. 2021. Available from: http://www.oecd.org/economy/surveys/INDIA-2017-OECD-economic-survey-overview.pdf. Accessed on 08 March 2021.

Nayyar G, Kim KY. India's internal labor migration paradox: the statistical and the real. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper. 2018;8356.

'Housing for All' Means Nothing for India's Migrant Workers. The Wire. 2018. Available from: https://thewire.in/economy/housing-for-all-migrant-workers. Accessed on 08 March 2021.

Santha SD, Jaswal S, Sasidevan D, Khan A, Datta K, Kuruvilla A. Climate variability, livelihoods and social inequities: The vulnerability of migrant workers in Indian cities. Int Area Studies Rev. 2016;19(1):76-89.

Bharath AK, Turner RJ. Impact of climate change on skin cancer. J R Soc Med. 2009;102(6):215-8.

Banerjee M, Kamath R, Tiwari RR, Nair NPS. Dermatological and respiratory problems in migrant construction workers of Udupi, Karnataka. Indian J Occup Env Med. 2015;19:125-8.

Kuruvila M, Dubey S, Gahalaut P. Pattern of skin diseases among migrant construction workers in Mangalore. Indian J Dermatol Venerol Leprol. 2006;72(2):129-32.

Shah KR, Tiwari RR. Occupational skin problems in construction workers. Indian J Dermatol. 2010;55:348-51.

Adsul BB, Laad PS, Howal PV, Chaturvedi RM. Health problems among migrant construction workers: A unique public-private partnership project. Indian J Occup Env Med. 2011;15:29-32.

Pillai SM. Contact dermatitis in Trivandrum. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 1989;55:297-300.

Cronin E. Contact dermatitis. 1st ed. Churchill Livingstone: Edinburgh. 1980: 296-304.